Monday, February 9, 2009

You Felt Like History

The problem with Eve and the Casual MMO player is that Eve takes time. It takes time because you can't just join some 'battleground' and hack and slash from dusk till dawn. Since there is actual assets at stake people go to great lengths to avoid losing.

People play Eve to win.

When you plan on PvPing, you really need to look at how much time you're willing to invest in the hunt. You'll begin to realize that in order to get quick PvP you have to be suicidal. This is because when you play eve you rarely get the opportunity to get a fair fight, people are either in better ships, bigger gangs, or simply run away. 

It's a chess game really, you must feign weakness in order to draw the enemy into a vulnerable state. It's one of the biggest reasons Falcons are so popular. What appears to be a winnable fight quickly becomes a slaughter when the ECM support decloaks. 

It seems that over the past couple days it's what has really worked for, and against us.

Besides and Embarassing Jaguar Loss to an enyo, and the loss of my wolf trying the more suicidal version of pvp, we had a decent weekend. Besides my fleet on friday, we racked up 8 or 10 kills just buzzing about. One important moment of the weekend was when intel actually proved to be accurate.

There was a report of 4 wartargets buzzing about Minmatar low sec, near Frerstorn. Quick trip for us, I was in my long range ceptor, Dz in his thorax, and Kel, our ace in the hole, was in a Blackbird.

It ended up being a funny little battle, because we both relied on 'hidden' ecm support to try and control the battlefield. The for amarr pilots were in frigates. Frigates in Minmatar low sec usually meant plexers, so we figured they were standard fit. I warped to the station I had them scanned towards. 

Since I was in a long range claw, I was a bit concerned about 4 frigates beingable to spread enough to capture me, but I figured kills were more important than my ship, so I went for the tackle, however, Ironically, before I could fire up a module, I was jammed...

Jammed? there were no E-War frigates here.. What in sam hill is going on?

I docked because I wasn't going to die just to die. Dz warped in and started fighting, I undocked to help again. This was sort of a "keystone cops" moment for me, the problem was, I still had my orbit set for close range fighting, but didn't have time to change it, so I kept doing strafing runs, tackling, firing a volley off and then ending up out of range. 

Dz was slowy going down while he toggled between being Jammed and unjammed, it was around here when Kel came into save our asses, like he so often does. With all four frigs jammed it became a clean up. 

But is just goes to show how much of a chess game eve really is. Throwing a curve-ball at your enemy so they have to act dynamically. It nearly worked for these frigates. The difference was, they brought a firecracker, we brought a grenade.

o/

No comments:

Post a Comment